IBM Systems Magazine, Mainframe Edition - March/April 2010 - (Page 12)

Dashboard News to use A Voice-Enabled INTERNET IBM Spoken Web was honored for best applied research aimed at improving the lives of people with disabilities at World Disability Day in Delhi, India. This voice-enabled technology empowers those with little or no literacy, or those with visual impairment, to access and share information, perform business transactions and create social networks using mobile or landline phones. IBM was also recognized with the 2009 Helen Keller Award and received top honors in India’s National Awards in the categories of Best Employer and Accessibility Innovation. For more information on IBM’s Human Ability and Accessibility initiatives, visit the IBM Accessibility Web site ( What’s Your Strategy? A midmarket study of business and IT decision-makers reveals distinct mindsets that actively shape the business strategy and related IT priorities at mid-sized companies. Efficiency and cost control: focus on improving productivity and driving cost reductions Expanders: work to expand into new markets and take share from competitors Advocates: aim to become more customer-centric to strengthen relationships, improve service and enhance the overall customer experience Roughly half (53 percent) of surveyed companies concentrate their efforts on boosting efficiency and shrinking costs. The other half (47 percent) have an innovation mindset, focusing primarily on finding new sources of growth, transformation for competitive advantage and strengthening customer relationships. 25% 11% 11% With IBMers embracing social media, IBM’s Web presence is staggering. As of October 2009, here are some of the stats: Transformers: innovate their business models and drive transformation initiatives 17,000 internal blogs 60,000 collaborating on Oracle Beehive daily page views on WikiCentral 53% 1 million connections 198,000 LinkedIn Source: “Inside the Midmarket: A 2009 Perspective” is an independent, IBM-commissioned survey that included 1,879 business and IT decision makers at mid-sized businesses across banking, retail, healthcare, consumer products, manufacturing and other industries from 17 countries. The survey was conducted between April 13 and May 20, 2009. For more details, see the full study ( 3,000 on Twitter 52,000 on Facebook Source: Adam Christensen, IBM A TEXT CAN SAVE A LIFE W hat have your interns done lately? IBM’s Extreme Blue interns worked with pharmaceutical company Novartis to create the SMS for Life initiative. Partnering with Vodafone and the Roll Back Malaria Partnership, the project uses everyday technology to improve the availability of antimalarial drugs in remote areas of Tanzania. The mosquito-borne disease causes nearly 1 million deaths in Africa each year, often due to a lack of quick access to vital medication. The early success of the SMS for Life pilot project has the Tanzanian authorities interested in implementing the solution across the rest of the country. Tanzania has around 5,000 clinics, hospitals and dispensaries, but at any one time, as many as half could be out of antimalarial drugs. “The SMS for Life program has already had a positive effect in Tanzania,” says Winfred Mwafongo, senior health officer with Tanzania’s Ministry of Health and Social Welfare. “I’m very impressed with the results so far and look forward to following the rest of the pilot through to completion.” Source: IBM MARCH/APRIL 2010

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of IBM Systems Magazine, Mainframe Edition - March/April 2010

IBM Systems Magazine, Mainframe Edition - March/April 2010
Table of Contents
Editor's Desk: More Than a Milestone
Dashboard: A Text Can Save a Life
Data Display: Transistors: Tiny, Mighty Drivers of Innovation
Insider: Three Tips for Optimizing IT Investments
IT Today: IBM Cognos Now! Improves Linux on System z Business Analytics
Focus on Storage: XE for Storage on z/OS Version 4.2 Introduces Enhanced Functionality
Case Study: Implementing an IBM System z10 Enterprise Linux Server Helps EFiS EDI Finance Service AG Save Money and The Environment
Cover Story: After a Decade, Linux on System z Still has Merit
Feature: IBM Encourages Easy ISV Application Porting To Linux on System z
Administrator: DCSS Technology Improves Linux Performance and Upgrade Management
Tips & Technniques: Using System z Can Help Optimize Both Internal and External Communications
Advertisers' Index
Stop Run: IBM's Hursley House Encourages Innovation

IBM Systems Magazine, Mainframe Edition - March/April 2010